Question
Posted by: desiree | 2008/06/10

MRI

Hi.

Please help..
I had a MRI taken because i was experiencing migraines, vertigo, nausia, dizziness, and a sharp pain in my right remporal area on a very specific spot.
The radiologist looked at the MRI and said he saw nothing wrong. I do have experience with MRI's and i do see a vascular abnormality at the temporal right area.
Could this be the artery causing migraines? Could this vascular abnormality be the cause of my symptoms?

I'm desperate. And in pain. Please help.
Thank you very much for your help.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Desiree,

It is unlikely that the intracranial vascular abnormality is the cause of your pain. Migraine pain does not originate inside the skull, but from the extracranial structures. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.