Question
Posted by: Hessie | 2008/08/18

Moving, new puppy and cats

Pls give me some advise. We recently moved with our two cats to a new property. They have adapted quite well, and we had decided to get a dog for security reasons. We picked up the puppy this weekend and my cats seems petrified of the puppy (7 week old ridgeback). What can i do to make it easier on them? I have tried introducing them to each other, to no avail. Also, I had my baby cat neutered last year May, when she was 5 months old, and in our new complex there is a tomcat that can' t leave her alone. He comes into our house, bedroom and attacks her in her basket. Last night she went out and the same thing happened. This morning I found her cowering under a tree in our garden, too scared to come inside due to the puppy, and hiding from the other cat. She was so petrified she wouldn' t eat, or even let me touch her. I eventually locked her in our room with her basket, some of her favourite treats and the litter box, hoping she would calm down.
Any advise?

Dear Hessie

Get a Feliway diffuser from your vet. Works very well to reduce stress. Always important to let the cats have the option to escape if you intro them to the dog. Hold the puppy and let the cats come and have a look if they want to, not put the cat in a basket and let the dog come and introduce himself. May be worth giving the cats some cat only areas in the house with good escape routes.