Question
Posted by: Shnoodle | 2011/07/21

Moving House

So we have bought a new house that actually has a decent sized garden for the pooches. We should be moving in about 2 weeks or so. Currently we stay in a tiny townhouse and the dogs have access to both inside and outside all day since the garden is just too tiny to leave them in all day.

They are VERY naughty and often destroy things around the house - ie my shoes. The plan in the new house is to leave them outside duing the day and then at night they can come and sleep inside and they can also come in when we are at home.

We have been taking them to the house with us when we go through there to do renovations just to get them used to the place. My question is how do we transition them from having the run of the house and the garden, to suddenly being locked out the house from 8-5 everyday?

We will obviously have kennels for them and all that jazz, but I just dont want to scare them or traumatise them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hello Shnoodle, nice to hear from you again! A move is a big deal in a dogs life as it is in a human life and there is a possibility that they will react to same. I would definately recommend speaking to your vet about using the Good Behaviour Pheromone Collars for then from just before you leave for about a month. There collars emit the pheromones that a bitch releases at birth and help to sooth and calm the dogs - they recognize this throughout their lives.
Take them to the new home as often as possible to get used to it as you are now doing. I have worked with dogs before in similar situations to yours and some transistion with no problem, while others stress at the amount of space they have and the change in circumstances.
I would suggest a couple of things:-
a. Leave them outside at current home, over the weekend while you are at home first.
b. Make sure shelter, water etc provided and leave a large variety of exciting chew toys for them for distraction. Getting used to being outside in a familiar environment will make it easier.
c. In the new house, put up a tempory fence in a smaller area at first, about the size of your current garden. Many dogs just cant cope with the huge area they are exposed to initially.
d. When you move, take them for a long walk in the morning before you go to work (a tired dog is a good dog!) and make sure they have plenty of chew toys available.
e. It may be a good idea to have somebody pop around to check on them or to be in the house for the first few days to help them adapt.
Good luck with the move! thks Scotty
Next step leave them outisde in current home during the week.

2
Posted by: Robinson | 2011/08/10

You''re a real deep thinker. Thanks for srhnaig.

Reply to Robinson
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/22

I would suggest a couple of things:-
Good luck with the move! thks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert