Question
Posted by: retired | 2012/05/01

moving away

I am a widow in good health and have decided to move further away from my children.We all have a good relationship but I wish to live elsewhere in a place better suited to me personally- that''s all there is to it. Although I have no legal obligation to consider my children''s wishes concerning this current home, I know that one of them will be very upset if I sell it. It''s a sentimental thing for him. I could possibly afford to keep it for his occasional use, but it would be a great waste financially speaking . Can you advise me how to handle this?

Sounds like a sensible and justified decision. If one child has a sentimental attahment to the old family home, maybe he should consider buying it himself ? Simply keeping it, at your expense, for his occasional use, sounds entravagent and might not meet his emotional needs either.
Go ahead and do what feel right for you ; you've made enough sacrfices and given enough love thus far, not to have to keep the old house as an embalmed relic becouse one of the family needs to move on and finish growing up - maybe, indeed, selling the place, will help them to finish their growth

4

Posted by: Maria | 2012/05/01

I agree 100% with realist. You probably spent years of your life putting your children''s interests ahead of your own. Now is the time to do what is right for you.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: retired | 2012/05/01

Thank you for that, Realist. Your support brings tears to my eyes.

Reply to retired
Posted by: Realist | 2012/05/01

You must do what your head tells you my dear. You cannot consider what would be best for your kids and this is NOT being selfish. They are presumably adult with their own families and they must do what they must do. If selling the place suits your plans, do it with a clear conscience. If your son is so in love with the place, let him buy it.

Reply to Realist