advertisement
Question
Posted by: Maria | 2011/06/22

Mould

My daughter and I have been coughing for weeks and our doctor suggested that this could be due to some environmental factor in our house. The main bedroom''s en suite bathroom has a lot of mould on the ceiling, which we will remove. However my daughter doesn''t spend a lot of time in there, she just showers once a day. Do the mould spores spread to the rest of the house? Or could so little exposure be enough to make her sick?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It's a good idea to sort out the mold issue in any case, but it might not be the causative factor (or not the only one).

Other possible indoor environmental causes to consider include: dust and dustmites, animal dander, cockroaches, and I'm sure I don't need to mention cigarette smoke.

Outdoor airway irritants can sometimes enter a residence, and these include nearby industrial or traffic air pollutants and pollen.

Have a look at these tips for reducing dustmites and cockroaches: http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-800-1602,16856.asp
<br/>http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-1461-2504,56358.asp

Keeping your home clean, uncluttered, dust-free and well ventilated, and allowing sunlight in where possible, are good basic measures to reduce indoor pollution.

Keep in mind that commercial cleaning products (and air fresheners) themselves may be contributing to irritation that makes you cough. Always try to use small amounts of these, maintain good ventilation when cleaning and consider switching or supplementing to non-toxic alternatives.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

2
Our users say:
Posted by: Easter | 2011/08/11

I went to tons of links before this, what was I tihkning?

Reply to Easter
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2011/06/23

It's a good idea to sort out the mold issue in any case, but it might not be the causative factor (or not the only one).

Other possible indoor environmental causes to consider include: dust and dustmites, animal dander, cockroaches, and I'm sure I don't need to mention cigarette smoke.

Outdoor airway irritants can sometimes enter a residence, and these include nearby industrial or traffic air pollutants and pollen.

Have a look at these tips for reducing dustmites and cockroaches: http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-800-1602,16856.asp
<br/>http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-1461-2504,56358.asp

Keeping your home clean, uncluttered, dust-free and well ventilated, and allowing sunlight in where possible, are good basic measures to reduce indoor pollution.

Keep in mind that commercial cleaning products (and air fresheners) themselves may be contributing to irritation that makes you cough. Always try to use small amounts of these, maintain good ventilation when cleaning and consider switching or supplementing to non-toxic alternatives.

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement