Posted by: Cathy Badenhorst | 2009-08-31

Please could you advise me as to the health implications relating to mould. My roof of my home was leaking last year which in turn damaged my ceilings and there is now a large amount of mould on the internal boards. I have suffered with chronic sinusitis for many years and now my 13 year old daughter has been diagnosed with acute sinusitis. She has been very ill this year with colds and flu and tends to have a constant sore throat and sneezing. I am currently awaiting an insurance claim to replace the ceiling boards.

Most appreciated.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

There's some controversy about just how much mould contributes to respiratory tract problems and allergies, but it has been definitely shown to do so, and that includes some cases of sinusitis. It is often difficult, as I'm sure you know, to pinpoint the cause of sinusitis, and there may be more than one cause. But it is definitely worth having your mould problem dealt with as a priority.

Mould may represent a serious health threat to immuno-compromised people, and a small percentage of people are thought to be hyper-sensitive to it.