Posted by: Flippa | 2009-02-04

Motivation to train?

Hi FitnessDoc

I' m a midpack cyclist (round about 3 hours for 100km races) and I seem to go through the same cycle every year. Every winter I train through for the beginning of the summer season, race both mountainbike and road races from the September culminating with the 94.7. After that, I seem to lose all motivation and can' t seem to focus on training or racing from January. By the time winter rolls around again, I' ve picked up most of the weight I lost the previous winter and I' m back to square one. Please help!

HI Flippa

I suspect yours is quite a common problem.

I think part of it is goal related in that you don't have a distinct goal and lose momentum over the holidays. It would be hollow for me to say that you should just find a goal in February, so that you have something to start for in January. I'm sure you've already tried that. However, it's definitely worth trying to "reframe" your season so that your season culminates with some racing in March or APril of the following year, and that your summer season is part of the build up.

Short of this, you need to use other people to motivate you, and so if you can surround yourself with friends or club mates who will continue to ride when you lose motivation and hopefully provide you with another incentive to continue riding.

One final thing you might consider is a change of activity. Maybe you can swim or try to jog when you lose interest in cycling. It's not crucial that you continue cycling, just that you exercise, and maybe one month where you go to the gym, or run, or swim, will be what you need in January to recharge, and then by Feb, you'll be hungry to ride again.

Hope that helps a little