Question
Posted by: namgirl | 2011/03/30

motivation needed

Hi Diet doc,
I have been on a diet since Dec 2010, so far it has been going well. I''ve lost 14kg and about 20 cm over my body. The past 2 month I''ve been slacking, cheating every now and then. But the last week or so it''s been getting worse. I crave bread, ice cream etc. I also put it down on my menstrual cycle especially this week. Funny thing (good thing?) is, I go for the ''healthy'' options i.e health breads/rolls, sorbet etc.

I dont feel as motivated as when I started out. Also because of the fact that for the past month I have not lost any kg''s. I still have 12kg to loose..

I need motivation!! (oh, &  I started this diet because I would''ve gotten married in July and because I felt it is time to look after myself, adapt a healthier lifestyle) but we decided to only get married next year) could this also be why I''m slacking, knowing I have more time to loose the wait now??

Dear Namgirl
Congratulation for losing those 14 kg and 20 cm - you are a ***star***. I do agree that the postponement of your wedding, is probably the reason why you are slacking off. Keep in mind that you are the only person on earth who can motivate yourself to lose those last 12 kg. If you have a whole year to lose the 12 kg, you can do this gradually at the rate of 0,5 kg per week, thus 2 kg per month, and 6 months to lose the 12 kg. The changes in hormone levels can influence the serotonin levels in the brain and cause cravings for carbohydrates. To counteract this, you need to be particularly careful during menstruation not to eat too little and to include a low glycaemic index (GI) food at each meal to prevent the cravings. Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also visit the Website of the GI Foundation at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information about low-fat, low-GI diets. I would also recommend that you start doing exercise as part of your weightloss regimen. Studies have shown that people who exercise when trying to lose weight, stick to their diets more effectively, than individuals who do not exercise. You can try cardio exercises like skipping, jogging, cycling, swimming, or brisk walking. Do at least 30 min of exercise a day. This will not only improve your motivation and weightloss, but also firm you up all round.
Wishing you all the best for your wedding next year

2
Posted by: namgirl | 2011/03/30

Forgot to mention, I followed a exercise program as well, 3 times a week. But stopped about 2 weeks ago. I want to join a Zumba class but have not gotten round to it. A dietician once told me (after observation) that I can''t follow a eating program and not excercise and visa versa). So I have to do both to get better results.

Reply to namgirl

Dear Namgirl