Question
Posted by: Joey | 2011/04/11

Motivation

How do I stay motivated on my new healthy eating and exercise plan? I find that I feel so much pressure I do the exact opposite, binge and have no energy for anything, let alone exercise. I am so tired of being overweight. I have joined a health program, its 2 weeks in but I cant stick to it even though I know what i need to do to. I have an important event coming up end of the year and I would like to look great, so why cant I do this? Please help

Dear Joey
Because you are the only person on earth who can decide to stick to your healthy eating and exercise plan, you need to sit down and analyse why you cannot persevere with this programme. If you are turning to food for comfort or if food is a crutch to get you through the day and there are underlying psychological problems you are grappling with, then it would be advisable to consult a clinical psychologist (your gp can refer you). The psychologist will be able to assist you to identify what is making you so demotivated when you would like to look great for your important event at the end of the year and help you with coping strategies. One can also purchase motivational tapes from organisations like www.innertalk.com or www.motivators.co.za , but at the end of the day, you will have to take the decision to stick to your diet and your exercise programme to achieve success.
Hang in there

1

Dear Joey
Hang in there