Question
Posted by: Art | 2008/09/12

Mother/Son showering/bathing

Hi, I have a query, that I find abnormal but may be normal. My girl friend showers in front of her 13 year old while he is bathing and thinks it is a normal practice. The son seems to think there is nothing wrong with it either. I don' t think its healthy, am I worried about nothing or should I be concerned?

There's something to be said, within a family, for not making a very big deal about anatomy and nudity, though its also important ( as the child will have through life to interact with other people with different attitudes, to foster a sensible sense of privacy and modesty, too. There are no necessary ill-effects, but much depends on other elements of the relationships, and some mothers are unwholesomely seductive towards their sons --- and at early adolescence this could be bothersome and confusing for the lad

3
Posted by: JABU | 2008/09/12

I AGREE WITH THE DOC, ONE DAY HE COULD MAKE SOMEONE FEEL EXPOSED BECAUSE HE IS OKAY WITH NUDITY..IT IS A PRIVATE THING AND DEF AFTER THE AGE OF 6 0R 8..THE BOY HAS REACHED PUBITY AND HIS HORMONES ARE ON THE LOOSE..HE COULD CONFUSE FAMILY WITH STRANGERS..NUDITY IN FAMILIES IS NOT RIGHT,IT MAY BRING ON INSEST.

Reply to JABU
Posted by: Mom | 2008/09/12

I grew up in a house of open doors and my brother and I are perfectly happy and healthy and normal. Natives all over the world do it daily, why would it be shunned in " modern"  society?

Reply to Mom
Posted by: case | 2008/09/12

Personaly I feel you should be concerned. It is not healthy that a 13 year old boy baths while his mother is showering.

Reply to case