Question
Posted by: Fox | 2011/08/25

Mother with Depression

I''''m here to seek advise!
My mother has been depressed the last few years now. She has gone to see people to help her and she also has medication. In 2009 her depression was so bad that she was in bed 24/7. At times it didnt feel like i had a mother.
Long story short i gave up alot for her. Never let my feelings and saddness out because if she gets upset she gets anciety. Everything was about her and today it still feels like it. I live in another town now. It is like her heart has hardend and now she is very straight about what she says. It sometimes feels like she doesnt think before she talks.
I''''m tired of everything being about her... i need my mother back. When ever i do say something it becomes a fight. She never sees my point in... i wrote her a letter to tell her how i feel.. but what if this doesnt change anything?

I hope she was ( and is being )properly treated by a specialist psychiatrist and not only a GP. While GP's can valuably handle ordinary depressions, where the problems don't respond to basic treatments, specialist help should be involved. A depression that has lasted for years, has not been adequately treated.
Some people discover advantages within an illness, including depression, and can find ways to use the illness status to manipulate and try to control others. And sometimes the diagnosis of depression has not been expertly made ; there may be a second or alternative diagnosis. For instance, where there is dementia as well, depressions may respond less well to treatment, and the indivudla may become more blunt and less subtle and less able to work tactfully and kindly with others

1