Posted by: Corlene | 2011-12-07

Mother is very tired

Good day

My mother is extremely tired. It feels like she cant lift her arms! The doctor told her she have diabetes and heart failure. Her PRO-BNP was normal. Her tiroidgland is under active. Some medicines can cause the pro-bnp to be falsy normal. Is that correct? She also have type 2 diabetes. Can this be the underlying cause of her tiredness? Is there a other test that can tell us if she do really have heart failure? Is there any alternative medicine she can use without paying a furtune?

Expert ImageCardiologist

I am sorry to hear about your mother. People with heart failure do of course tend to be very tired, but it is very strange that your mother’s proBNP was normal. I have never yet seen a patient with heart failure with a completely normal proBNP. An underactive thyroid may also cause tiredness and it will be important for your mother to take thyroid replacement therapy and to get her thyroid function back to normal. Diabetes in itself usually does not cause people to be tired, but complications of diabetes may of course cause tiredness. For example, a common and often painless cause of tiredness in diabetics is coronary artery disease. If your mother has been diabetic for a long time it is very important to find out whether or not she has underlying or hidden coronary artery disease. Before recommending treatment of any kind it is very important to find the reason for her tiredness and my advice would be to see a cardiologist or a good general physician to look into these problems.

With best wishes. JT.