Question
Posted by: @purple - michaela | 2011-02-22

mother in law

She does not annoy me but rather just make things difficult, she really cries and doesnt want to speak to anyone when she gets upset. She doesnt act like an adult, its hard for me because I would like to say something but she will think im taking her son and grandson away.....believe me, she will, she said it to someone else already...and that person was just trying to help.

The point is, when she doesnt get her way, she cries and feels like the world is against her...I do not understand that. I cant even imagine having a parent like that.

She was like that with me when I started seeing my husband, the child was small and she told him that I will hurt him! I had to really prove myself...I did it because I knew she wouldnt be able to prove I would hurt him, then she wouldnt have anything to say.

I feel sorry for my hubby but I cannot get involved..it tough and very very strange for me, my family is totally different.

She is the problem. From your description its clearly not only a matter o her interfering, but of her being far too grossly invested in her grandchild, more than most good mothers are in their own child. She sounds more immature and childish than her grandchild, and obviously has serious emotional problems which she needs to deal with with her own shrink or counsellor.

2
Posted by: Woman | 2011-02-22

oi vey! my ex mom in law was like that. Eventually I moved out of the province and things drastically improved from there. My ex MIL used to drive around to my house and check who is there (after I split from my ex) and what we''re doing. She was always around and basically did everything you described in your postings! There was just no way to communicate with her on any rational level!

If things get too bad, move away. So far that she needs to travel at least 5 hours to get to you. Then she can come visit for 2 weeks once a year. That ought to solve the problem once and for all. Two weeks you can handle, a life-time of her current attitude will probably end with you in a divorce court.

Sons don''t stand up to their mothers enough. It''s a fact of life. At least it sounds like your hubby has a spine &  is also sick &  tired.

Good luck! I hope it gets sorted one way or another

Reply to Woman