Question
Posted by: Betsy001 | 2009-07-02

Mother-in-law

Mother-in-law in driving me crazy!! She just won' t stop. She thinks she can swear, lie and do just about anything and no one can say anything. For example, she bought my husband a small bakkie to start a business and it never worked so we sold the bakkie to move into our own place and made an arrangement to pay her back every month, we have been doing this for the past year and never skipped, (she is not working refuses to work under 40years of age and her children must look after her) now she is insisting we pay her more but we can' t know she wants to take us to the lawers. My husband spoke to her but not breaking through!! But he never really puts her in her place and if I want to he fights with me!!

There's something odd and lazy about a person under 40 who refuses rto work or get a job. How on earth does she support herself ? As she has accepted the present arrangement of your payments for some time without protest, I doubt she could get any lawyer or court interested in what ywould obviously be a malicious prosecution just to be nasty because she has changed her mind. But you'd need a good legal opinion about that. And as Liza says, if you made a verbal agreement with her, that's a binding contract. And she's right too that MIL must realize that she'd lose the case, and be much worse of once she has paid her lawyer.

4
Posted by: Curious2 | 2009-07-03

That was my first question also Curious!!! LOL

Reply to Curious2
Posted by: curios | 2009-07-02

if mom in law is under 40, how old is hubby.

Reply to curios
Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-02

A verbal agreement in your case is just as binding as a written contract. Especially since the agreement has been adhered to for the past year. So even if she does get a lawyer and try to get more from you, the chances are very good that she won' t succeed. The judge will also take your current income and expenses into account if he decides that she should get an increase. If your budget does not allow for the increase - there is absolutely nothing MIL can do. Her threats are empty. Without an income, how is she going to afford a lawyer anyway. Her case is so weak that a lawyer is going to request a big initial deposit to even start proceedings.

So relax! No need to stress.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Anon | 2009-07-02

U know what, typical situation of a mother-inlaw &  her son sticking together. Those are two u can never separate &  till this day u still get men who think they in diapers &  have to stick with mummy. My mum is 44 &  she works her butt off. Dad is 50, he still going strong. I know of ppl who are grandparents who are still working so she just making a sorry xcuse. Unless she is sick or something. Fair enough right, ur hubby is probably reacting in a way u would to if it were ur mum in the picture but the thing is us women will stand against family for our husbands then again very few men would do the same. I suggest that u tell ur hubby take out a loan &  pay his mother. thats the only way she will back off. I know the feeling &  trust me i dont stand for no crap. Get a loan &  pay her off then see what she' z gona nag about