Question
Posted by: Ruth | 2011/05/10

Mother hates my dead father - to Reader Responses

Thank you for all your input everyone.
I cannot afford R5000pm for her that is my rent now.
Yes I had to declare myself insolvent as a result of her being destitute.
I forgot to mention that my two siblings contribute not a cent although they are the reason she lost it all.
The pro bono court case against them failed because she was in and out of hospital for 2 years having operations and it lapsed and the lawyers did not want to do it again.
And it is traumatic sueing your son or sibling.
I could put her into a state facility but it is not in me to be so cruel.
Make no mistake she is no longer thrilled to be living with me either so she may put herself there. I feel I can only do so much and yes I am not contributing to my own pension at the moment.
I also wonder how much it puts off an eligible man when he realises that an elderly mother lives with the woman? I think I will ask in a separate post.

If there is any legal obligation, then it would automatically be shared by your siblings. Of course you don't want to be cruel, but neither should you acept cruelty.

2

Posted by: Truth | 2011/05/10

Why did the pro bono lawyers not follow through? He medical problems should have made the case stronger!
Suing your sibling may be traumatic but carrying the financial burden alone for many years and finding yourself in the same position in 20 years time as your mum is more traumatic.
An elderly mother is probably off puting for a man especially with the financial implications and family conflict.An insolvent woman with no pension/savings /property is not apealing.

Reply to Truth