Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/02/01

Mostly Veg and bloated

Hi Doc, Pls help me i eat veg 4 times a week i also have lentils which i love but i noticed that im a bit bloated and my tummy sticks out a bit and as soon as i have a bit of non veg which is mostly chicken sometimes sea food my tummy goes down.
I observe a religious fast 4 days of the week so i wont eat anything non veg not even eggs and i wont ever change that.
I drink water even warm water through the day which i thawt wud help but doesnt seem to be helping.
Is there something i can have or do to stop this from happening?
Thank you.

Dear Sam
From what you say, I deduce that you eat only vegetables and lentils on the days when you fast for religious reasons and that when you do eat vegetables and lentils this causes bloating? Because you say that you cannot change this eating pattern, I would suggest that you consult a doctor for medications that help to disperse gas (Buscopan, etc). It is possible that some of the vegetables or the lentils cause build up of gas in the intestines. You could try eating only one or two bland vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes and butternut for a week, then start adding the other vegies one at a time each week to see which ones cause the bloating. Finally also add the lentils. This would enable you to eliminate those vegetables and possibly the lentils if they cause discomfort.

1

Dear Sam