Posted by: Ali | 2009-03-20

Mortons Neuroma

I have these pains in my right foot, my 3rd &  4th toes have very little feeling, I often have a burning sensation under my foot. I saw a doctor and his diagnosis was taht I have a Mortons Neuroma. I would like to know what causes it and what can I do to relief the pain. They said to have it removed is the only other option for relief. What else can I do?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Ali

There are many causes of a Morton's neuroma including foot alignment issues such as flat feet as well as a dropped transverse metatarsal arch. Shoes that are too narrow can also be cause. Treatment usually starts fairly conservatively and the final option could be surgery.

The first step should be an examination of your feet and the shoes you normally wear. Insoles or orthotics can be prescribed to correct foot postions and can be very successful in treating neuromas. A cortisone injection will also help. In many cases these measures alone get the neuroma to settle down. Only when all else has been tried should surgery be considered. There are reported cases where surgery has been unsuccessful in solving the probem.

I suggest seeing a podiatrist and trying other ideas before surgery.