Question
Posted by: phonophobic | 2010/02/19

mortal fear of telephone conversations!!

what would help for this? I''m petrified of making phone calls and of receiving calls. On my list of anxiety-provoking things, this ranks among the unseen deadly spiders, disappointing people, appearing naked in public and heights.
and it seems no matter how much exposure i give myself, this fear does not lessen.
I''d much rather write someone a mail or text message OR I''d even rather go and talk to them in person (but only if there''s no other option rather than phoning them.)
I''ve always been shy and self-conscious, but now it''s seriously hampering my job-performance.
I cannot understand people talking to each other on the phone for hours and hours. Am i extremely abnormal to wish that Alexander Graham Bell never existed?

Actually, this is not uncommon. And whereas few jobs require you to appear naked in public, or at great heights, and hardly any need exposure to unseen deadly spiders, many expect you to make and take telephone calls.
There can be many aspects of the issue of phoning that bother you - for instance, the idea that you can't SEE the person and fully assess how they are responding. However, this is a variety of Social Anxiety Disorder, which can be excellently treated and cleared up bu Cognitive-baheaviour Therapy ( CBT ) and the SADAG group can help you find such a therapist capable of CBT. Indeed, before long you could be so confident on the phone that you might consider seeking a pert-time job at a call center !

1