Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/09/20

Morning Sickness

Morning Dietdoc
hope all is well on your side. for the first 5 weeks of my pregnancy i have been eating healthy and the little one was really hungry as I was constantly eating. Did focus on mostly healthy options as in my prior post.

Now started with morning sickness get it about 4 in the morning, i get up and have a banana which seems to help and then during the day I drink water with lemon and eat water biscuits.

I try to eat 2 green apples and another banana.

Oven chips and Normal Salty Chips seem to be top of the list but try to eat a plate of roasted veg at night.

Also try to drink 2 glasses of milk a day on top of my vitamines I take, multi vitamin, omega''s and calcium

is this OK for now.

Trying my best to eat during this morning sickness but very hard.

Dear Kasandra
Good to hear from you and that your pregnancy is progressing despite the morning sickness. The general recommendations for expectation moms who develop nausea of pregnancy, is that you should nibble a dry biscuit, or suck an ice cube or a lemon wedge until it disappears. If the banana helps in your case, that is fine. It is also well know that pregnant moms develop cravings for a variety of foods, such as your craving for oven chips and salty crisps. This should not be a problem and you may find that you crave some other foods in the months ahead. Please check 2 things on your multivitamin (which I presume also contains minerals and not just vitamins?): a) The vitamin A level - do not take more than the RDA per day while you are pregnant; b) See if the product contains sufficient iron for you and baby (about 18 mg per day). If your multivitamin and mineral supplement does not contain sufficient iron you could develop a deficiency, so discuss this with the medical dr who is overseeing your pregnancy. The Omega and calcium supplements are a good idea.
Good luck with the nausea - deep breathing also helps.

1

Dear Kasandra