Question
Posted by: daz | 2013-02-18

Morning Kidney pain

First off, this is by no means a regular thing, it happens on occasion once every couple of months, if that.. sometimes lasting a couple days at a time though

I wake up in the early (2am) hours of the morning with severe kidney pain on both side of my back. It feels as if i have intensly exercised by back and am now suffering for it, or like somebody used my kidneys as a punching bag while i was sleeping. The pain is a severly tense ache, and costricts my movement and breathing (making for a terrible nights sleep).. the pain usually subsides over the course of the day.. but doesnt completely go away till atleast the next day.

Im not having any strange urine-symptoms / habits, and the occurances are sporadic, so im weary to jump to assuming kidney infection.

What could be causing this?

Daz

I suggest that you consult an urologist for an ultrasound of your kidneys. In some cases, large kidney stones can form and in time smaller pieces break off. This in turn can cause severe pain and might be the reason for your symptoms. The doctor will also do blood tests and an urine analysis to determine the cause. In the interim, you can use Buscopan Co when you experience the pain. These tablets will relax the smooth muscles of the urinary tract and should in turn alleviate your symptoms.