Posted by: b | 2011-09-04

Morning headaches

Dear Doc

The last few days I have been woken with a severe headche.
I do get migraines - this is not the same kind. I once woke at 3am from a deep sleep from pain and now for the last 3 days I wake up in the morning with a really painful headache. It is a constant intense pain in the back of my head. No nausea or vomitting. The headache does not go away unless I take something. On the first 2 occasions I took panado which worked. This morning I tookl 2 myprodols but the headache has returned. I am not sick and do not have sinus. In all, I have taken 6 pain tablets over 3 days. I am afraid of a rebound headache. The headache is so intense that I dream about looking for a pharmacy or someone chopping my head off.

I dont know what is causing this. I am 39. Please help

You will have to consult your doctor for an examination and blood tests. It is possible that you are suffering from a cluster headache, although cluster headaches are usually on the one side of the head and patients describe the pain radiating from the back of the eye. The pain is very severe and can last 15 minutes to three hours or more. The cause is unknown and you should be evaluated to exclude a cluster type headache.

It is also possible that your headache is due to severe muscle spasm, which radiates pain to the back of the neck. With examination, your doctor will be able to determine if it is due to severe muscle spasm.

It is important to investigate severe headaches and I suggest that you consult your doctor as soon as possible.