Question
Posted by: KITTY | 2008/06/19

Morning exercising

Hi there. Thnx for your reply on the skipping issue. I want to know something else. I currently exercise in the afternoons when I get home...around 16:30. But, I hate doing it in the afternoons. I am tired and fed-up from work, and I don't enjoy it. I want to rather start exercising in the mornings. Which means that I will have to get up at 04:00, to be in time for work. I used to do it like that for a while in the past, but I remember I was so sleepy during the day at work. I yawn myself into a coma, and if I could lay my head down, I'd fall asleep right away. Is there any advice you can give me on what to do..or not to do, when exercising in the mornings. Do I need to take a energy supp like berocca or the likes..will that help? or is it just a case of going to bed earlier in the evenings? Your suggestions or reccomendations will be appreciated.

Kit.

Hi Kit

Difficult one. A big part of it, of course, is that you're losing out on a bit of sleep by getting up that early. So simply going to bed a little earlier will help offset some of the difference, so yes, that's part of it.

There are also a couple of things that you might do to help prevent this mid-afternoon malaise. One is to make sure that you eat well before or after training. It's not critical to eat before you train, but you have to make sure that you eat after. It's really important to replace the energy, and to do it throughout the morning, because the effect of the exercise does last for a bit longer than you might realise. So breakfast must become the crucial meal of your day, rather than supper as it might be now. This means you might have a bit of fruit before you train, and then make sure that you eat soon after, as well as another meal mid-morning, and of course lunch, and mid-afternoon. The key is regular energy intake, rather than three meals, well apart.

So I certainly would advise you to look at the diet. The other thing is to just stick with it for more than a few weeks - those first few weeks will be very tough, because you won't have adapted to either early mornings or exercise. So it will take a while to adapt fully to the training, but you need to give it that time.

Having said that, don't be so stubborn about it that you end up suffering more than if you train in the afternoon. The option is there to train in the afternoon, and sure, you don't enjoy it right now, but perhaps you can find ways to make the afternoon training more pleasant for yourself, or change your approach to it? That way, you don't have to feel that you're forced to train so early - it must be a choice, regardless of when you train.

Ross