Question
Posted by: Carol | 2010-08-24

Morning depression

I have suffered from depression for a few years now but have weaned myself off anti-depressants as the side effects were just not worth it. I am extremely depressed when I wake up but as my morningI starts I start feeling good again till about late afternoon when my mood takes a bad dip. I recently read a newspaper article which talked about this specific problem.It also mentioned a new anti-depressant for this exact problem which had fewer side effect. Unfortunately I forgot the name of this new pill so would appreciate it if someone could help me find out more

There is NO new antidepressant specific to any specific type of depression, and ALL new antidepressants claim less side-effects. Sadly, no SA newapaper I know of has a dedicated and suitably expert scientific / medical / health correspondent able to properly assess such potential stories and to decide whether they are valid or simply Publuic Relations puffery. Far too many newspaper and magazine writers just re-print whatever handouts they receive.
That said, what you really need is to see a properly expert psychiatrist for a full assessment of all your symptoms, to identify the variety of problem or depression you haven, and to discuss with you your various treatment options, which can include a wide range of antidepressants, new and old, and also CBT style counselling / psychotherapy, which can also be very helpful in depression ( and of course it lacks the side-effects !).
Some mood problems are indeed sensitive to mood shifts related to time of day, or even time of year, and to exposure to bright light.

1