Question
Posted by: mimi | 2010/11/14

Morning after

how effective is the morning after pill in percentage to prevent a pregnancy? i dont intend using it like the pilll just want to know the effectivess at eliminating a possible unprotected sex pregnancy? If it is too late to start the pill and i know that within 24hrs i will have unprotected sex can i take the morning after pill before the event or is it best to take it after sex?

How long before you are safe from date of starting to take pill? is it really 2 wks? can one start taking the pill anytime of the month or must you wait for a period? what possible side effects can 1 expect from the morning after pill?

I know exactly when i ovulate i.e. white discharge, pain on one of the sides, etc and its always 12 days from my period, my gynae confirmed with all sorts of elimination tests that i indeed do suffer pain on ovulation, my question is if this has passed by a week or two can i still get pregnant knowing that i had ovulated already a week or two ago? IF i have unprotected sex?

It is 90-99% effective deoending on where in the cycle you are. It cannot be used before sex, it must be taken after sex.
You are safe on the Pill after 7 active pills. You can start at any time of the month, but this will give more side effects and may upset your cycle.
The commonest side effects of the morning after pill are nausea and upset cycle.
As the egg lasts for about 2-3 days, you can fall pregnant after ovulation. This time period is an average and sometimes the egg survives for longer and you could then fall pregnant a week after ovulation.ALso it has been shown that up to 20% of women ovulate at unexpected times without knowing it.

1