Question
Posted by: Purple | 2010-03-12

More...various questions in prep for second preg

Dear Gynaedoc,

Thanks so much for your response. I feel reassured now. I have a gynea appointment coming up next month so I''m getting quite excited at the thought of falling pregnant sometime in the next two years.

Sorry, on the progesterone, I re-read my question and I don''t think I phrased it very well.

Before I was put on progesterone, my gynae tested my progesterone levels, as at my appointment at 5 weeks he felt my baby was really tiny (2mm if I remember correctly).
My cousin had a positive home preg test the next week, and I told her about this. She had had so many miscarriages (it was about 5 or 6), so she phoned her gynae and suggested progesterone, he was very anti, so she said she wanted her progesterone levels checked. They were low, so she demanded she was put on progesterone (he still didn''t want to do it), finally he relented and prescribed the pessaries and she then changed gynae''s.

My question is more - how far should I push in demanding I have my progesterone levels tested, and do a lot of gynae''s still feel that progesterone is not appropriate in case there was good reason that a miscarriage was about to occur.

Thanks so much.
Purple.

There isn't a lot of evidence that low progesterone is a common cause of miscarriages, but you could have your progesterone levels checked.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-03-15