Posted by: anon | 2009-09-01

More on Alzheimers

Dear CS

Read your reply to a previous post and I have two questions:

1. From what age does Alzheimers set in?
2. Did you ever watch the movie on called ' Away from her'  ?I was very moved by it and understood the suffering the loved ones faced much better

It varies. I'm not sure whether Alxheimer's as such has been properly diagnosed in your mom's case --- there are multiple causes of dementia. Alzheimer's was called "presenile" dementia because it was like the senile dementia you may see in very old people, but with an earlier onset, in the 60's or even 50's, rather than the 90's and 90's. I haven't seen the movie you mention, but thanks for mentioning it, as I look out for any movies with helath-related themes that are actually useful. I wasn't so fond of the movie Iris, about the dementia of the writer Iiis Murdoch, but found a paperback of the three books her husband wrote about her illness and his reactions,
The Iris Trilogy : A Memoir of IRIS MURDOCH, by John Bayley. Including Iris, Iris and the Friends, and Widower's House. YOu may also find those moving and useful.