Question
Posted by: Cas | 2011/05/13

More Energy more Protein

Hi Doc,
I have been on a diet similar to Dr Cohen, and found besides loosing weight i feel alot better. I used to be a carb junkie and now only have 6 provitas per day and 3 fruit with the rest of my menu lean protein, healthy fats and veges. Do you think this has something to do with not eating too much carbs? I also found that since i have decreased my starch intake i dont suffer with IBS in the mornings.
What are your thoughts?

Dear Cas
As I have repeatedly mentioned in my DietDoc articles, high-protein diets can help people to lose a lot of weight. However, such diets that exclude nearly all carbs, do have problems associated with them (e.g. constipation due to a lack of dietary fibre, leaching of calcium out of the skeleton which may contribute to osteoporosis, gout due to a high purine intake (purines are compounds mainly found in protein foods of animal origin like meat, etc) - to name but a few). You are at least eating some high-fibre carbs in the form of ProVitas, fruit and vegetables. The improvement in how you feel may be linked to your weightloss and the fact that a high-protein, high-fat diet is automatically a low glycaemic index (GI) diet. So if you did have problems like insulin resistance, this would improve on a low-GI diet. It should be kept in mind that a low-GI diet that includes carbohydrates can also be achieved, if you select your carbs correctly. The improvement of your IBS may also be due to avoiding refined carbs. You can, therefore, use this type of diet, but be aware that it can have negative aspects and that you may develop deficiencies. For example, if the diet excludes all milk and dairy products, then you are exposed to the risk of a calcium deficiency and may need to take a calcium supplement like MenaCal.7 to prevent osteoporosis.

2
Posted by: Cas | 2011/05/13

Sorry i forgot to mention i am Insulin REsistance. Do you think i am on the right track or am i cutting too much carbs out.

Reply to Cas

Dear Cas