Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2008/05/27

More antibiotics needed?

Our whole family contracted a cold about 4 weeks ago with all the classical symptoms, rnny nose, scratchy thorat, watery eyes, sneezing. This all passed, but my two sons and I developed vey stuffy noses with very thick green mucous - and it seemed like it just would not stop no matter how many times noses were blown. We all are allergic and we are on chronic asthma and nasal sprays. The noses got worse and last week I called our ENT (GP out of town). He gave us all antibiotics (we did not see him as he was very fully booked, but he knows our family very well as we have seen him several times over the years due to chronic ear and nose difficulties in all 3 of us). After the antibiotics, I got a lot better, but there seem to be no difference in the boys (7 and 5). They are so bunged up and the 5 year old especially battles to breathe. The mouth breathing is hurting their throats. On Saturday, the 5 year old had a brief spell (about 8hours) of a fever and chills 38.4. But is went away again. He also complained of a headache above is eyebrow this morning. His appetite is poor and he is a very small child as it is. He only weighs 14kgs and is 101m tall.
My questions is this:1) Do we need additional antibiotics.
2) Do I continue with the nasonex while the inflammation/infection is going on?
3) Saline makes no difference to his ability to breathe easier at night, but from personal experience I know how much worse rebound iiliandin congestion is. Anything else I can do? If you advise to continue the saline. How often should I use it?

Any advise would be welcome. Thank you

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that your family go on an extended course of oral antibiotics. You should stop the nasonex and iliadin for a period of 10 days. Continue with nasal irrigation, with saline, at least four times per day. Strict bed rest and lots of fluid is also recommended.

Kind regards