Posted by: oh | 2009-09-09

More a maintenance &  custody issue

My partner of 3 years has 2 girls, one 6 and one 4. both stayed with their mom permanently and he had to pay maintenance. about a year ago, things started looking bad at my partner' s job which led to him being dismissed. he has since then not been earning an income. he and ex made an arrangement that he would not pay maintenance until he can and we (me and him) will try to contribute where we can. she was fine with that but then never ever paid any schoolfees or after school care or nothing!! now the eldest has decided she no longer wants to stay with her mom.. so they have decided to split the girls up and then each takes care of one only financially but now i have to take care of schoolfees that are behind from may this year and i have to take care of my own child and myself and partner. i know stepdaughter is happier with us but financially we just cannot afford it.. still driving her to her own school about 30 km from where i live and work everyday as well!!!

my problem is , i do not want her to one day turn around and make him out to be the bad father who never pays for his kids because he always paid r800 more than maintenance agreement said he should and when the payments were made on a regular basis she would also not pay the school..
how can i make sure that the agreements they make between themselves are legal and binding and that she cannot later turn around and say he owes thousands in maintenance!!!!

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Dear "oh", I am not qualified to give legal advices and would recommend you speak with a maintenance lawyer.

You can email me for a referral.