Question
Posted by: pammy | 2011-02-21

morbidly obese on duromine 30mg pills

dear graham can you pls assist me , i am morbidly obese i am 1'61cm and weigh 115 kg

I am so tired of carring this weight around, I feel so depressed as i am still very young. I have bought duromine 30 mg tablets to help with the weightloss, but have no idea how thry work and what type of foods to eat or avoid to help me with the weightloss.

Could you pls advise on a eating plan that is for obese people? And do the tablets work for weightloss in morbidly obese women.

Pls help very desperate
thanx pam

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Pammy,
First, please forgive me for my delayed response. I have been on "paternity leave" and focussing more on nappies and such matters than work for the past 6 weeks. I'm hoping that my absence has had you enquiring elsewhere, as this question really belongs with the DietDoc. Your weoight does, indeed, fall within the morbidly obese range, as your Body Mass Index is a little over 44. As such, it will be very difficult for you to realistically restore your weight to within normal limits, but there is no reason why you should not be capable of losing a significant amount of weight. Weight loss medication needs to be used with csaution and always used under the supervision of a dietician and medical practitioner. I suggest that you look to seek the professional guidance of a dietician and start following a meal plan that offers a moderate daily intake and also follow a carefully planned exercise programme. At your weight, you need to be careful what exercise you do. You might also want to see an endocrinologist and have some basic bloods done to ensure that your physical status is safe. Your blood pressure, cholostrol andblood sugar levelks must be checked. In losing weight, do not try to lose weight rapidly, as tempting as it might be. One kilogram a week is a good guide. Rapid weight loss through very restrictive dietseventually results in further weight gain, so don't be tempted. If you find that you have emotional problems making it difficult to comply to your weight loss plans, some counselling might be a good idea. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: TB | 2011-02-28

Hi there Pam

A dietician is really great, but i battle with the rigidity of the plans (generally speaking). Have you considered weight watchers? It is the most amazing, SIMPLE eating plan, without weighing and calorie counting. It is based on a points system, which your team leader assists with. I like it simply because it allows you to eat normal things (eg KFC, Nando''s, Wimpy etc) like we all do at times. it is not a " social killer"  (my terminology for not going to friends or family for meals because they might not cook what I " may"  eat!!).
My teenage daughters are on this plan and love it. Dieting for anybody is so difficult but even they have said that this is " normal"  eating!
Good luck xx

Reply to TB
Posted by: friend | 2011-02-22

Hi Pammy
I am perplexed that you were able to obtain Duromine without any guidance from your doctor as these tablets can only be obtained with a prescription. The best advice is to see a dietician who will work out an eating plan to suit your needs as well as monitor your progress/lack of progress. You are seeking guidance and the best person to consult with is a registered dietician (preferably one that specialises in obesity). Good luck with your weight loss...don''t give up, remember one day at a time!

Reply to friend