Posted by: ST | 2008-11-26

Morbidly Obese

Dear Doc

I am 36 years old, 1.73m tall , female and weigh more than 150kg (scale goed up to 150 but cant weigh me anymore). I have tried every diet imagineable but stick to nothing. Same with execise. I live in the middle of the Transkei and do not have access to support systems such as gyms/personal trainers. I tried Weigh less, lost about 10kg, but lost interest as the leader did nothing to motivate me. I am a stay at home mom and eat all day out of boredom. I have an IQ of 144, but can not persue a carreer as my husband' s work as an engineer causes us to move often and live in rather strange and remote places. I also studied for a masters deree in a field that I can do pretty much nothing with. I suffer from clinical deprerssion but it is currently (and has been for the last few years) well controlled by medication except for post partum depression after the birth of my son about 2 years ago. I want to loose weight for the sake of my health (no diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholestrol at this stage). My feet are suffering though. I just seem unable to motivate myself. I have a lkot of knowledge about what to do and how to eat, but can not control the compulsive eating. Any suggestions? Food is my crutch.

Dear ST
Your present BMI = 50 or more if you do weigh more than 150 kg. The first and most important matter to address is your depression because this can cause massive weight gain and also totally demotivate you to do anything at all about your weight. In addition to this problem you are also using food as a crutch possibly because your are a highly intelligent and well qualified person who is sitting in the back of beyond not using your many talents. No wonder you are depressed and desperate. No weightloss regimen is going to work until you get your psychological problems sorted out. For your own sake and that of your family make a plan to get to one of the large centres like Joburg, Cape Town or Durban and find a good psychologist and psychiatrist to help you get to the bottom of what is causing your problem and to learn more positive methods of coping with the boredom, depression and frustration. Once you have sorted out your psyche, I would urge you to consider bariatric surgery because trying to lose 50% or more of your present weight is practically impossible without this type of assistance. you contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose.
But first and foremost see a psychologist even if it means moving to one of our cities for awhile to get the correct treatment. Do something positive for yourself before your weight causes all kinds of physical problems.
Holding thumbs for you