Posted by: Tamsyn | 2012-02-14

Mood swings

Hi there,

I just wanted to ask. I have terrible mood swings like the one minute I am in the best mood ever and the next I am biting people''s heads off for nothing some days I am depressed and agressive the whole day so depressed that i even feel unatractive and then other days i will be very happy and pleasant and feel very attractive and confident in myself. And some days i have a bit of both in one day.

I will even feel very tired at night and then sleep the whole night and then other nights I cant sleep at all. And when i cant sleep absolutely everything irritates me.

I have days where I cant stop chatting and being happy and then I have days where i only speak to someone when spoken to?

My moods are really up and down and it is starting to irritate my partner I am starting to fear for the worst with our relationship.

Is there something wrong with me or is this just a thing that happens to everyone?

To some extent it happens to everyone ----very little about a normal human being is entirely stable. Early i Medical School, they got us to take our pulse, Blood Pressure, and temperature evry 30 waking minutes for a week, and graoh the results, and we were all surprised at how much each of these varied through each day and between days. As regards mood and similar things, its also normal for this to vary, but we need as we grow up to learn to control how we behave as our mood varies --- we may feel more irritable at times, but that doesn't force us to be nasty to others --- we can learn to stay calm and cool and NOT snap at them. When we feel a bit sad at times, we learn to distract ourselves and cheer ourselves up. What's not helpful is to sit and concentrate on how sad we are feeling, as that uually makes us only fel more miserable.
Allowing yourself to get very anxious about not sleeping will make you more wideawake. Rather avoid coffee, tea, colas, etc, and hve a warm milky drink, read a boring book, and sit up till you feel sleepy. ( Every home should have a few really boring books for such occasions !)