Question
Posted by: Moody Blues | 2010/01/13

Mood Swings

For the past 3 years, I' ve been experiencing mood swings that seem to appear out of nowhere. I' ll be fine, cheery and talkative and then suddenly, one small triggers changes my mood instantly and I start feeling so irritated that it makes me tearful. Sometimes I dont even need a trigger for this " black cloud"  to hit me and most of the time, I dont even know why Im getting this change of mood. This contributes to me feeling even more frustrated. I become silent and when my husband asks me whats wrong with me, I get even more irritated that I end up saying most of the time " NOTHING!" , give him the silent treatment and treating him like dirt with my reaction. During this " episode" , I loathe even looking at him. After about 30 minutes Im fine again, the " black cloud"  feeling leaves and Im left with emense guilt over the way I acted towards my hubby and the hateful thoughts I had. Im 28yrs old, I dont smoke, drink or take any medication other than my contraceptive pill, Yasmin. There' s also times where I constantly want to be by myself so I end up spending hours in my bedroom to avoid people from bothering me. I am always tired and never seem to have the energy to partake in social activities. I so badly want that " zest for life"  feeling. My hubby often says to me, " why cant you just be yourself. I want that fun person back"  .The weirdest part of all is that I can control my moods at work, yet at home I cannot help it. What is wrong with me? Some advice will be greatly appreciated.

Such small and brief mood swings are probably normal, and one could probably control them by choosing not to focus one's attention on them, not mto idulge in them, and not to behave towards others in a way that would be coloured by these moods ( rather as you would do if instead this were brief episodes of irritability and bad temper. Then you would have nothing to feel guilty about afterwards.
But generally, it'd be a good idea to see a sherink for a full assessment, as it may be that you are developing a treatable Depression, which is starting to show itself in this way

4
Posted by: Brit | 2010/01/14

I have the same... the mood hits from absolutely nowhere... bang!!!! and then you tend to do things that you regret badly afterwards. Also dont have it at work only at home. It has caused damage between my bf and i .. and i think my son also gets the worst of it. The worst is that it is totally unreasonable.... weird..

Reply to Brit
Posted by: acknowledgment | 2010/01/13

a friend of mine explained to me that if you conciously acknowledge your emotions - whether its anger etc you can then basically turn the emotion off...so instead of getting angry and riding the emotion through until it ends, stop and say to yourself that you are angry..acknowledge the emotion immediately and you will notice that it will lose its strength and intensity...all you have to do is recognise it conciously, try it, it works.

Reply to acknowledgment
Posted by: ................... | 2010/01/13

Same here, I am 34 years old, when I am at work,I pretend. I have been through a lot in life, lost hubby, hiv positive, house reposssesed now i moved back home to my parents home, I was used to my space now I must be like a child, hadly can invites friends or my partner, i must always drive to them (parents are old school). So most of the time I am on the str with my child, malls or lodges. I can' t afford to rent, I am frustated as hell. What I hate is I don' t talk to my parents at all only when they ask I will respond but I have a lot of anger in me, cause of my history. Went for 16 counselling session already.

Reply to ...................