Posted by: anon | 2009-07-16

Mood swings

HI Doc

How much does female hormones play on mood swings?
I have a very high prolactin count due to the solian and the lexamil that I take.
I had a very bad experience the other week were I just lost it and my kids had to be taken away. Not the first time. I just go off the deep end for no real reason. THe only trigger that I can come up with is it is always a week before my period.
Any answers???

Usually quite a lot, but unpredictably, as the precise levels and variation in female hormonal swings and how they influence a particular person's moods, varies. Some women do indeed get more irritable in relation to their periods, often as a form of pre-menstrual tension, PMT. I haven't seen good recent work on whether prolactin as such is the relevant element in this, and of course the medications themselves add to the complexity of the situation --- sounds like something you really need to discuss with your psychiatrist / prescribing doc