Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009-04-28

Mood swings

Dear Doc
I do suffer from a change in mood, which definately go hand in hand with my monthly cycle. I am most of the time happy, do not suffer from any depression, anciety, or panic attacks.... although all of this are in my family. I think depression is the most likely thing, a week before my menstruation i can clearly feel a change, as if a heavy fog cloud is pulled over my brain and into my eyes. I am very short tempered them, fight with everyone. Normally i am very kind and polite but that week, i do not hold back. It' s affecting my relationships negatively and i do try to aviod human contact if possible (not actually with having a husband and 2 todlers).
This previous month a shop assistant was really rude to my daughter, but i was shocked how chocked up i got. Short of breath, haert palpilations, heavy breathing and heavy shaking. Normally i can calmly try and resolve conflict, but not around this time.
I had a huge argument with my husband which turned violantly from his side, because of my terrible mood. He said i have to do something about it, it is destroying us.
Most of the time we have a peaceful life. I did try vitimin B, evening primrose oil, pms herbal meds, that salt stuff for pms symptoms, i try to cycle 3 times a week and are 57 kg for 1.73 cm, so not overweight. Do not smoke or drink. Must i just take something like valuim when i feel i want to snap. I am really scared of SSRI' s drank przac once but shake from it and stop it immediatly. Is there just something that can help me to chill out 7 days of the month. I am really desperate and have been fighting this for a long, long time. Please help me.

Hallo Sam
Valium is addictive and can cause rebound depression so I don't like using it. Ask your Doctor for a presription of Buspar that you can use as needed. Don't stop with the Vit B 6 supplements and also add a calcium supplement. You are doing all the other things right! Sometimes it helps to use an oral contraceptive pill if you are on one one already.