Posted by: Ibecrazy | 2009-02-06

Mood Swings

I suffer from depression and panic attacks and I was on medication but I weaned myself off with the help of my GP when i felt I could handle myself and my emotions. My brother is a schitzophrenic and there is always that fear that I will develop it so depending on Meds to keep me balanced just kills me.

Since Ive come off the anti depressants I have gradually become been very moody - easy to anger, easily offended, frustrated to the point of tears over small things, I even sometime feel like my co-workers are talking about me because I am so sensitive.

Last night I worked overtime for the 3rd night in a row (till 8:30) then l went to gym after to try and get my frustrations and stress levels down and when I got home the place was filthy - dishes in the sink, washing on the floor, the animals hadnt been fed and my boyfriend was watching TV with his feet up - he barely even acknowledged me.

I decided not to say anything - just started cleaning the house. While I was doing the dishes my boyfriend walked up to me and asked what was for supper and I totally lost my rag and threw 3 dishes at him one after the other - its not the first time either.
Then I went to our liqour cabinet grabbed the first available bottle and locked myself in the bathroom and cried and drank.

When I came out the dishes were washed, supper was cooked and the mess was cleaned up but when I raised my arms to hug him and apologise he cringed away from me and it just broke my heart - what is wrong with me? Am I going crazy??

Generally, people who develop a clear Depression or Bipolar Disorder, don't also develop schizophrenia. Of course in espeially bad mood swings, depressive or manic, one could potentially spend some time being psychotic, but not in the same was as schizophrenia. So, you're not going crazy, though I understand your concern.
Pleased to hear your bf atually handled the crisis rather well.
I think you should arrange to see a good local Psychiatrist ( your GP can probably recommend one ) for a good assessment --- NOT because I think you are going crazy, but because only after such a careful assessment can the shrink more confidently and convincingly reassure you about that, and he can check whether there are any aspect of your problems which could be helped, by medication, diet or counselling. Sounds like the stresses have mounted up, you were tired, and maybe not handling stress as well as you might.
IF you happen to need longer term emds, well, don't reject whatever you need to stay well. Nobody says " Heck, if I have to stick to a healthy diet my whole life just to stay well, to heck with that, bring me junk food." If, like a diabetic who needs insulin to be normal, we need some chemical assistance to maintain our best level of functioning, is that something to avoid ?

Posted by: who really knows | 2009-02-06

maybe not crazy, it could just be life stress that is mounting up. see a doctor for more help and also look at your diet, ive been told you can make dramatic changes to your mood if you eat certain healthy foods and even for example cut out some things like diary products. Also try magenisum as a supplement and fish oils (omega fish oils with lots of EPA) this will all help alot. The answer is not always a shrink although they may be able to help, what i mean is if you go for example to a dietician and explain your moods they may be able to suggest dietary changes.

try making love every day aswell with your boyfriend regardless of the mood your in - this is a natural stress reducer and hey its great fun :0)

Reply to who really knows