Posted by: Lady | 2008-12-02

Mood swings

I hope you' ll be able to help. The gynae always gives very vague answers which is never really helpful.

Ever since I had the Intra Uterine device, called Mirena, inserted, I have had serious mood swings. Been bleeding everyday for 3 months, and all the other pms sort of issues.

I can handle the rest of it, but not the moods - it causes many fights btw me &  my hubby. We' re newly married, which is what makes all the fighting even it worse.

My man used to be very patient with me, but I think with all his work stress and things, he has lost his patience. If I get moody, he gets irritated very quickly. Which makes me even more emotional.

We both realise it' s the hormones. Apparently with the Mirena, it takes about 3-6 months for all the side effects to settle. It' s been 3 months now. My hubby said that I' ve been throughthe first 3 months, so maybe I should wait it out another 3 months to see if it gets any better. I don' t mind that.

But I can' t do it if he is not supportive. He tries to be patient nowadays when I get in a mood, but I can see that he' s getting fed up and tired of having to deal with me and my moods.

This morning I tried to control my mood. I managed to stop myself from getting angry, but I couldn' t control the overwhelming feeling of being sad, and was just crying.

How do I control the mood swings? I try and tell myself it' s just the hormones, but the feelings are too strong. How do I get my hubby to work with me, and not get sick and tired of me? In fact, I' m also sick and tired of having to deal with myself!

I don' t want to ruin a fresh marriage. This is the time when we' re supposed to be happy and in ' honeymoon phase" . Please help me.

Several issues occur to me. Yes, hormones could be playing a significant role here. Or they could be exaggerating an existing, underlying disorder like Bipolar Disorder, or the symptoms could be due to both. What is needed is for you to see a good local psychiatrist for a thorough assessment, and diagnosis, and then treatment advice based on the results of that. And within that treatment, CBT style counselling could help you to change not merely the moods, but the way you change when in such inconvenient moods