Question
Posted by: blossom | 2009/11/08

MOOD DISORDER

I suffer with bipolar inherited from my mothers side.I take Epilim, Cilift and Welbutrin. I fear my daughter has bipolar as she displays similar behaviour. I took her to my psychiatrist who evaluated her and diagnosed her with learning problems, lack of concentration and a mood disorder (not bipolar). She put her on Tegretol. She has been taking these for almost 3 weeks and there is no sign of her appearing more stable. She is 24 and her first baby is 8 months old. She let him fall at least 5 times - off the bed - out a trolley, etc etc. and I am very worried about this. Your comments are welcome please.

A family history of Bipolar Disorder increases one's risk of later developing the disorder, too, but one still has a good chance of NOT developing it. But Tegretol is a drug used to treat Bipolar Disorder, and NOT to treat basic depression or other mood disorders, in the normal course of events. Any mood stabilizer, when properly used to treat Bipolar Disorder, takes time to show its benefits, which would be shown by a lower number or severity of episodes over a year or two, rather than something noticeable in a couple of weeks.
I'm not sure what problem you are noticing as regards her presumably carelessly letting the baby fall - was this part of the problem before she started treatment, or has this only arisen since she began on this medication ? Some people can get drowsy, maybe a but confused, and can concentrate less well, on some of these meds.

1