Question
Posted by: Shy or embaress | 2011/04/08

monster

I don''t know how to put this but here we go. I am afraid of the " thing"  in the dark. I am 30yrs but I can''t shake the this phobia, I am not afraid of the dark,but what is out there in the dark, I have been waking up in the middle of the night scared like hell since I can remember, I have a special lady in my life and I know she knows about it even how hard I try to hide it, I don''t if I scream or get nightmares but what I know is that my lady is starting to avoid sleeping over at my flat, how do I overcome this, what sort of doctor do I go see?

As you realise, such fears are quite ommon among kids, rather less so among adults, though I suspect most of us could be susceptable to it in the right ( or, rather, the wrong ) circumstances ). A shrink could definitely help. A psychologist could assess you to be sure this is only a specific phobia ( for instance, people with phobic anxiety Disorder, can wake with severe anxiety without any clear idea of why ), and could then use CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) a useful and pleasant method for helping people to Un-Learn a fear of phobia, and to relax deliberately when you need to do so.
This will probably clear it up. If not totally, then a psychiatrist could help with some emds that could change some aspects of the way you sleep, to reduce the chances of this still further. Both possible explanations, variations on the same theme, would be likely to respond really well to such therapy

4
Posted by: josie | 2011/04/19

I truly sympathise with your phobia / fear of the dark. I read a beautiful quote about shadows. Don''t ever fear a shadow is it is an indication that there is light nearby.
When you feel panic at night, ask God to draw near and he will. You are always in the presence of comfort when you pray.
God Bless

Reply to josie
Posted by: Malcolm | 2011/04/10

Geez you are one unhappy miserable piece of shit expectation ...if you don''t like this forum don''t post comments here ... bitter and twisted comes to mind ..... you sound so unhappy ...why not take a hike and leave this forum to others who really care about people and their problems ... what do you do all day ... browse this site and make nasty comments to make your nasty little self feel better?? Shame I pity you, maybe you should ask CS for some advice on how to deal with this hatred you have in you for mankind ... pfffttttt ... why even bother???

Reply to Malcolm
Posted by: Expectation | 2011/04/08

I don''t care what you are afraid of.

Reply to Expectation