Posted by: Lisa | 2009-02-19

Hi I' ve just found a baby mongoose, what can i feed it?

Dear Lisa

The only Mongoose I know is my mountain bike and that just needs oil.

Contact "FreeMe" at 083 5585658

Posted by: Jordan Small | 2016-04-12

First of all you should try to get it to a rehabber but if not you must feed your little friend some worms or very small pieces of chicken. I have never raised a new born mongoose but i hav raised a girl of 2-3 weeks old and was suckccesful. I fed her raw chicken at the begining, and an occasional piece of cheese. When her teth developed more i introduced her with live bugs such as crickets, worms, moths, christmas beetles (her fadourite). She has now a happy healthy companion. Good luck Jordan

Reply to Jordan Small
Posted by: jax | 2009-02-19

Hi Lisa,

- ok, first point is that it is illegal to pick up and keep wildlife, so unless you apply very quickly for a permit from Nature Con, you could be in serious trouble. Unfortunately, having removed and handled it, it cannot be returned.

Best pet is to either contact your local zoo and hand it in, or, if you are near JHB, call Free Me on (011) 807-6993 and make arrangements to get him to a rehabber.

Baby mongooses are not the easiest to raise - they need specific milk formula and other additives to ensure that they don' t develop rickets or die. If you absolutely cannot get him to a knowledgeable carer tonight, then get some kitten formula from your vet. Contact the FreeMe after hours number 083 5585658 for info on how much and how often to feed him - this is only a temporary solution, though.

Reply to jax
Posted by: GSD | 2009-02-19

Mongooses mostly feed on insects, crabs, earthworms, lizards, snakes, chickens, and rodents. However, they also eat eggs and carrion. Some species of mongoose are fairly intelligent and can be taught simple tricks, which has led to a number of them being domesticated, often kept as pets to control vermin. However, they can be more destructive than desired:

The above is what a quick google search brought up.

Reply to GSD
Posted by: GSD | 2009-02-19

Are you sure you want to raise it? Are you aware of all its needs and can you meet them? Maybe the wisest thing would be to turn it in into your local zoo or animal park.

Reply to GSD