Question
Posted by: Shane | 2012/04/09

Mongol Rally.

Hi Doc,

My friend and myself are doing the Mongol Rally this year. We will be traveling through the UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia and China for a few days.

We would like to know what vaccines and precautions we should take.

Also is it wise to take out some type of medical insurance? Can we do that through our current medical aids?

Can you maybe suggest any other medical or travel advice?

Thanks very much,

Shane.

Expert ImageTravel expert

Dear Shane that is quite an adventure. A lot depends on your interaction with locals and your sleeping accommodation. Rabies is rife in Mongolia and my patients that have visited there have had bad diarrhoea and respiratory infections. So best be well prepared. Essential is 4 in one Adacel Quadra, covering Tetanus. Diphtheria, Polio and Whooping cough, Typhoid, Hep A and Flu shot. Consider Pneumonia vaccination, Meningitis if competitors all sleeping together and Rabies as well as MMR. [Measles mumps and German measles ]Hep B depending on age should have been covered in your EPI vaccinations. This you get from blood products and having risky behaviour with locals!
Medical Aids generally cover but ensure you have documented proof of Top up payment before leaving. Essential to ensure Medical evacuation is fully covered from where ever. Organizers usually have their own insurance which they advise
First aid kit should cover diarrhoeal diseases, Respiratory infections, Antiseptics skin creams for cuts, Antifungal and Broad based Cortisone cream for rashes. Azithromycin is a good antibiotic to take as it covers both dairhoeal and Respiratory bacterial infections. Remember to drink bottled water, sparkling is best and clean your teeth with it. Keep mouth shut while showering!
Good luck,
Pete

1
Posted by: Travel expert | 2012/04/24

Good luck,
Pete

Reply to Travel expert