Question
Posted by: schmeggie | 2011/02/04

MOM FALLS ASLEEP ALL THE TIME

My Mom is 74 but has always been active and healthy. However, in the last six months she is suddenly faling asleep while she is eating her lunch (she then chokes!), she falls asleep washing dishes at the sink , during church on a sunday etc. She wont go to a doctor and says there is nothing wrong with her ! Im so worried that she will fall asleep while driving her car ! HELP !

Schmeggie

Your mother is most probably suffering from hypersomnia but there are a multitude of causes for this condition and it is therefore, important that she consults a doctor as soon as possible. She is definately at risk for accidents while driving with this condition.

Refer to the following article regarding hypersomnia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersomnia

3
Posted by: Karen | 2011/02/04

I agree with Joe. If she won''t go to the Doctor ask the Doctor if he could come to her.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Karen | 2011/02/04

Reply to Karen
Posted by: joe | 2011/02/04

I am not a doctor and I will jsut relate what happened in our own house. Grandmother used to fall asleep a lot too. Turned out she had alzheimers and later also had a stroke. I don''t know what caused what, but you''ll have to get her to a doctor, or have a doctor come to her.

But again, I am no doctor, I can only speak from VERY limited practical experience.

Reply to joe