Posted by: Something | 2008-11-27

Mom buts in

I' m 29 years old. Been married for 7 years. The problem is not my mother in law, but my mother. She can' t help but but into my life. Especially the way I raise my 3 year old. She' ll tell me I' m doing this wrong and I should' ve done that.
She even critisizes by dressing and weight. (I' m overweight because of medical reasons and have lost nearly 5 kg' s so far). She' s overweight too.
She' ll even but into my marriage. It' s like she sees me as competition.
How do I handle this?

Some moms find it extremely hard to leave us alone, and may continue to live their lives through us. YOu can really only try repeated calm, pleasantly voiced conversations, telling her that you need to make your own mistakes, and you're getting on fine --- and will ask when you need her advice or help. And maybe reduce the amount of time you spend together