Posted by: Nadia | 2012-08-06

Molluscum contagiosum

Hello Doc
My 5 yr old son has small wart like growths on the side of his tummy. There are about 20 of them. He has been having it for over a month now. I have been treating it with cortisone cream but it doesnt seem to be helping. Aound the same area his skin is very crusty. I have stooped bathing him with normal body soap and have been using aqueous cream as a soap substitution. I have been on the links checking out the pictures of skin diseases, and I have come about the molluscum contagiosum under skin rashes. The marks on my son''s body looks exactly like those on the picture. I need advice as to what I can do to treat his skin. His skin is scaly and burns and itches. One of the links said it will go away in years with no treatment. Please advise. Thanks.

If your son does have molluscum contagiosum, it is important to consult your doctor, as scratching might lead to a secondary bacterial infection that will have to be treated with antibiotics. I do not advise that you start any treatment before a visit to your doctor, as a proper diagnosis will have to be made, before treatment can be advised. If treated incorrectly, it can aggrevate.

I apologise for not being of much assistance but it is difficult to give advice on a skin condition, as I am unable to examine the area.