Question
Posted by: Dina | 2010/08/16

Molluscum Contagiosum

My 2 small (4 + 6yrs) children have this condition. I have tried an ointment. I think it was aldera. It has not helped much. He has had it for 8mths and the other one for a year and a half. The 4yr old has it on the neck area and I am concerned that he is getting a complex about it as people are making remarks. I have been told that he can have them " burnt"  off but that it is not recommended on small children. Can you give me any other advice?

Hallo Dina
One can also freeze these lesions with fluid nitrogen - it may be best to see a dermatologist if possible.

2
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/08/16

Both my sons also had it and they had it for a long time and everywhere. It is a viral ''wart'' and flares up more when their systems are down - but it never goes away. We had our sons removed with a dermatologist. They used conscience sedation. They did it in the rooms and they never came back. My youngest son had well over 100 of them. In my older son it left a tiny pinprick sized hole. They were also scraped off not burnt off.

Reply to BMJ
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/16

Hallo Dina