Question
Posted by: madelie | 2010-11-05

MOEDELOOS HELP ASB!!!! 21/10/2010

Subject: MOEDELOOS HELP ASB!!!!
Posted by: MADELIE | 21/10/2010

MY 1STE SWANGERSKAP WAS N BUIS SWANGERSKAP VERLOOR IN DIE PROSES MY BUIS EN OVILEER VAN DAAR AF NET AF EN TOE VAN DIE EIERSTOK MET DIE BUIS OF SO SUKKEL OM SWANGER TE RAAK. NA 3 JAAR SE SUKKEL RAAK EK WEER SWANGER MAAR BABA SE HART HOU OP 9WEKE OP KLOP. 2 EN N HALF JAAR LATER IS DIE TOETS WEER + GAAN DOK TOE MOOI VRUGSAK MAAR GEEN BABA DIE DOK HET ALS INGESTUUR OM TE TOETS VIR DNA ALS WAS NORMAAL RAAK TOE 8MDE DAARDA WEER SWANGER GAAN OP 8W DOK TOE EN WEER IS DAAR NET N VRUGSAK EN GEEN BABA!! EK HET MET DIE LAASTE 3 SWANGERSKAPPE UTROGESTIN GEBUIK. WATSE TOETSE IS DAAR OM TE DOEN OM VASTESTEL WAT FOUT IS MET MY EK IS MOEDELOOS EN WEET NIE MEER WAT OM TE DOEN NIE !!

EXPERT''S REPLY
Subject:
Posted by: Fertility expert | 26/10/2010
Dear Madelie

The problem of recurrent first trimester miscarriages or blighted ovum pregnancies is certainly a requirement for further investigation. In the vast majority of cases an underlying chromosomal or genetic problem can be suspected and can be very difficult to diagnose or confirmed unless some form of embryo testing is undertaken. Even with embryo testing via pre-genetic diagnosis (PGD) it can be fairly difficult to exclude all possibilities since there are numerous genetic probabilities and one needs to known what is being suspect so as to investigate accordingly. However as a routine both you and your partner may need to undergo some form of genetic screening for the more common or likely possibilities of chromosome carrier states. Other lines of investigations would include blood tests or autoimmune disorders as well as other hormonal factors such as thyroid abnormalities or metabolic problems. Abnormalities of the uterus should be investigated as well and an infection screen should be undertaken. Should all these tests prove to be negative then it might be advisable to consider invitro fertilization and careful embryo selection as your last option.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Hi Dr Cassim
Ons het met al 2 die laaste swanger miskrame DNA toetse laat doen en als was normaal ons het ook bloed toetse vir lupis gedoen maar die het negatief terug gekom, ek wil asb weet van alle toetse wat nog gedoen kan word en ook hoe om dit te voorkom. Baie dankie Madelie

Dear Madelie

In this situation I would strongly advise that you consider in-vitro fertilization with pre-implantation genetic testing of the embryos as well as additional therapy in the form of intra-lipid infusions, which in our practice has shown tremendous success rates. As mentioned previously genetic causes still remain the most likely and is extremely difficult to exclude and diagnose because these genetic factor may only manifest in the embryo and it is extremely difficult to culture the actual embryo when a miscarriage happens. The products of conception, which are extracted from a D&C at the time of a miscarriage is not truly a representative of the embryo itself and hence the extreme difficulty in excluding genetic factors. Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis may well be a means of identifying the more COMMON chromosomal defects.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-11-09

Dear Madelie

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert