Posted by: Gogga | 2008-12-07

moducare for cat?

I need advice from anyone with knowledge/experience on using Moducare to boost cat immunity. Would 1 capsule a day sprinkled on food be okay for a 6-month-old kitten? And how long does one continue the treatment? Any possible side effects?

My kitten has had swollen lymph node under her jaw and inflamed gums since I got her at age 6 weeks. FeLV, FIV negative. Biopsy tested negative for auto-immune disease. Her teeth are fine. Hasn' t responded to two 5-day courses of Amoxillin and a Cobactan (?) injection. A variety of viruses suspected, including herpes and calici, not feasible to continue testing to find out which one if there' s no actual cure for them anyway.
At the moment I' m putting Eco-vet immune boost drops in her water, but I don' t really believe in homeopathic medicine so I' m considering giving Moducare too. My vet is from Germany and doesn' t know about Moducare.

Dear Gogga

The lymphnode can be because of the gum infection. I have not used moducare in cats. I would suggest using CET toothpaste daily, Nutristim gel and wampum makes a fantastic anit-bacterial mouth spray. I have treated many cats in the UK with similar signs and often there are no virus involvement just very bad gums, reason unknown. Some of theses cats need regular dental and/or extractions.

Posted by: Wanda | 2015-09-09

Hi there, I have 25 cats all with some kind of problem. Some have aids, some Lekeumie and one have FIP. They all get Moducare. It's a very good supplement for boosting any cats immune. I can really recommend it!!

Reply to Wanda | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Jane Hagberg | 2016-06-23

Do any of your cats have resorptive dental disease? If so, have you seen any improvement in the condition? Which manufacturer of Moducare (Thorne or other) ? I have a sweet 2 year old female recently diagnosed with this condition. Thank you

Posted by: Cat Lady | 2008-12-09

You are lucky your cat doesn t notice the Moducare on the wet food - mine flatly refused to eat it so I just pop it in their mouths. They have become so accustomed to it throughout the years they don' t worry to swallow it whole. All my cats hate homeopathic drops in their water and they too gravitate to the fountain or birdbaths in the garden.

By the way I also have a feral cat (had 2 but one disappeared whilst I went down to Hermanus to look after my sick sister) and she never reappeared. The remaining one has a little stompie tail as he was being eaten up by a crow before the people in an Old Age Home contacted me and I managed to rescue him and his sister. He is very loving now but it does take time and he is still wary of the other cats. He also is the smallest of my cats and actually looks only about 6 months old even though he has turned 5.

Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Gogga | 2008-12-08

Thanks for the info! My Gogga is a feral-born kitten and she has attitude - getting something into her mouth is a blood sport, so tooth brushing is out of the question. Even the dentist is wary of her. I had to wait until her spaying to get the teeth and gums checked under anaesthetic, she' s that vicious.
She doesn' t seem to notice the Moducare powder on her wet food. The homeopathic drops in the water is another matter - she now prefers to go outside and drink from the birdbath rather than the spiked water in the house....

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2008-12-07

I give two of my cats Moducare with great success. One is suffering (like mother (me!) from chronic rhinitis and the other one has AIDS. The one with AIDS was diagnosed about 6 years ago and gets Moducare whenever he looks" offish" . The " snot and ttrane"  one ditto and they improve instantly. MY vet recommended it and I have not regretted it.

I don' t sprinkle it in their food. I pop them in their mouths and they swallow them whole.
Hope this helps.

Reply to Cat Lady