Posted by: lynne | 2010-08-24

i would like to know what your advice would be if i am constintly moaning in my sleep? i have recently been taking anti hestimines for post nasal etc. but i still moan apparently. does it have anything to do with sinis or throat etc?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lynne

"Moaning" could have a variety of causes, the least likely due to an ENT problem. If the cause is due to a poor sleeping pattern, then one could look for a cause in the ENT field, and here I am referring to problems such as snoring due to a post-nasal drip, caused perhaps by allergies. If the underlying problem is not snoring, (the sound you make when sleeping due to obstructive breathing) one should look for reasons possibly of a psycological nature. This could include being under severe stress, or other related problems.
The best would be to consult your GP to establish the exact nature of your complaint, and then point you in the appropriate direction.
From an ENT point of view, sinusitis with a post-nasal drip, or untreated allergies, may most defenitely contribute, and would require management. If the anti-histamine is of the sedating group, this could affect your sleeping pattern. Ask your GP for advice.