Question
Posted by: Anel | 2012/04/18

MMR vaccine affecting period?

Dear Doc,

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past 8 months, so I have been keeping close track of my periods.

Up to 2 months ago, my periods were very regular (27/28 days).

Saw a gynae in February, she prescribed the MMR vaccine for me since my blood tests showed that I was not immune against rubella.

Since the MMR vaccination, I have had 2 periods, and they were both very late (35 days!). Could there be any relationship between getting the vaccination and having late periods? It just seems very coincidental considering my 27/28 day track record for the past months before the vaccination.

On top of that , I have SLE, so yesterday my Rheumatologist said that my gynae should not have let me have the MMR vaccination because of my lupus. I have had a bad flare up over the past month (that is why I went to see my Rheumy) and his opinion is that my flare up is directly related to the vaccination.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

The MMR should not affect your periods. I cannot comment on the lupus flare.

1