Question
Posted by: GR | 2010/06/14

Mixing Alcohol with Medication

I know it''s not always medically safe to drink alcohol while using anti-depressants. What would be the bigger picture (maybe become more depressed) if, on occasion, when socializing had a drink too many? I must admit it sometimes is an " escape"  for me to have a glass of red wine every night?

Its never wise to coombine significant amounts of alcohol intake with most psych drugs, including antidepressants, for a number of good reasons - apart from its own well-recognized risks, alcohol is a depressant, and worsens depressions ; it undermines some of the beneficial actions of many drugs, and wosens some of the side-effects.
Now, this relates to the regular intake of a significant amount of alcohol. The occasional glass of wine ( except for a handful of now uncommonly used antidepressants which specifically interact badly with wine ) sually doesn't seem to do harm.

1